Professors Igor Kokhan (Religion) & Dean Anderson (Music)

Tell us about your educational background.

I have graduate degrees in several areas of religious studies and a degree in teaching. Ever since my childhood, I dreamed of becoming a teacher of religion. Yet, soon I realized that having in-depth knowledge of the content area (in my case, religion) was not enough and that developing my teaching skills was also very important. That’s why I decided to pursue studies in both disciplines.
–Igor Kokhan

I have BM and MM degrees in Violin Performance from the University of Missouri-Columbia and a Doctor of Musical Arts in Conducting from UCLA.
–Dean Anderson 

What has your career looked like up to now?

I started teaching courses in religion at La Sierra 10 years ago and loved it! One of the most rewarding aspects of my work has been seeing my students remember some of the things they had learned in my course several years after its completion.
–Igor Kokhan

I have worked as a conductor since 2001.
–Dean Anderson

What class do you teach for Honors? What plans do you have for this course? What are you hoping your students will take away from it?

I teach Religious Understandings, a course designed to equip students with tools and methods of studying and relating to a broad range of religious experiences around the world. Observation of religious practices is an essential component, and we visit several faith communities in the Inland Empire as we attempt to understand what makes religion meaningful to them. In all this, I’d like my students to gain a greater appreciation for the way religion works in their own lives and in those of others.
–Igor Kokhan

I will be teaching The Arts for Honors. I plan to focus on the structure and syntax of elements used in the performing and visual arts to recognize themes of conflict and resolution. I am hoping students will apply the knowledge gained in this class to their analysis of the arts and to find relevant points that can be applied to other aspects of their life experience. –Dean Anderson

What are your hobbies outside of your field?

Hmmm… Do hobbies not related to religion in one way or another even exist?
–Igor Kokhan

I love to go to the gym, read spy novels, travel, and learn new languages.
–Dean Anderson

What advice would you give to Honors students about college or life after college?

I’d say develop curiosity and cultivate interest in several areas of knowledge at the same time­—you never know what you could use down the road.
–Igor Kokhan

Never stop learning. Always look for the lessons that life teaches us. Learn to appreciate each day and be a blessing to everyone you meet. –Dean Anderson

What is one other interesting fact about you?

I know how to make Ukrainian vareniki (kind of like dumplings), and those are delicious!
–Igor Kokhan

I used to work as a ballroom dance instructor. –Dean Anderson