Going to college for the first time is a bit like going to kindergarten. You have no idea who anyone is or what to expect, and the days leading up to it, you proudly boast, “I’m going to kindergarten!” However, when it comes time to step foot in the classroom on the first day, you wonder if you are truly ready for this, a million thoughts bombarding your little five-year-old head.
That’s how I felt going to college. I didn’t know anybody, and I wasn’t even sure if the major I chose was the best fit for me – not to mention my family was now ten hours away. I was truly embarking on my own – exciting, yet scary at the same time. In reality, however, I was not alone. Before long, I began making friends, and got into a daily rhythm. I joined the Honours program, really appreciating the discussion aspect of it. And I talked to professors who helped me realise that sociology/cultural anthropology is indeed something I want to do. It was also a comfort to know that these professors were there to help me reach my goals.
Despite these many positives, there were, and still are, difficulties to overcome: getting enough sleep, managing stress, finding time for myself, and the occasional bouts of home-sickness. The only thing I can do is remind myself to take everything one step at a time, little by little, poco a poco. The more one focuses on how overwhelming everything is, the less one gets done and the harder it is to combat stress. Another thing I learned is how important it is to take “me time.” We get so caught up with homework, wanting to impress our professors, or just constantly being around other people that we forget to take a moment to breathe and spend time with ourselves. It’s much easier said than done, but even taking a five-minute tea break or watching an episode (or two!) of your favourite show can make that much of a difference.
Though college life can be an up and down flux of “I got this!” and “I really don’t got this,” I have to remind myself that I am not the only one, and it can only get better with time and experience. Even though classes will get more difficult and involved as the years go on, I know that as the friendships I am making get stronger and I get more used to living away from home, college life, though probably naive of me to say, will get easier. There are also many things to look forward to throughout the next three years: potentially studying abroad, meeting new people, working towards my bachelor’s (and hopefully going further), and getting to know myself better.
It’s these things I have to remind myself of as the going gets tough, but all in all, La Sierra has treated me well, so I can’t complain too much. The biggest things are to take everything step by step and to remember that none of us are alone.

— Sarah Goymer (Class of 2023, Sociology)