I tend to hear my parents’ advice and put it on the back burner of my mind until I reach a point where I realize that they were right all along. That’s exactly what happened upon my shift from Fall Quarter into Winter Quarter. 

“It seems like a lot at first, but you’ll get used to it. The first couple months are always going to be the hardest part of any adjustment.” – Mom & Dad 

At the time, I couldn’t fathom ever being able to adjust. There just seemed to be too much to do in too little time. All things considered, Fall Quarter was a tough one for me. I felt overwhelmed by the high-stakes environment of a college curriculum and blatantly unprepared for managing my new classes. After I came home from my first week, I was frazzled and already planning my academic funeral. College didn’t feel like a different playing field from high school; it felt like an entirely new sport. I had to re-evaluate many of my study habits and rework my schedule into one that catered best to my newfound responsibilities. Unlike high school, I wasn’t aware of what exactly I needed to do in order to succeed. 

Despite this, I made amazing friends, got to learn from incredible professors, and discovered a lot about myself. I fondly remember long hours in the library, acclimating to late nights with copious amounts of black tea. Group study sessions saved my grade on more than one occasion, even though they often devolved into conversations completely displaced from the relevant subject matter. My friends helped me focus and made learning fun. And, my saving grace became those moments. When school became too consuming, the best thing for me to do was detach and pursue something trivial. Whether that was going for a late night jog or taste-testing a classmate’s unique recipe, the in-between times made everything a lot more enjoyable. Adjusting to the demands of college classes as well as maintaining a reasonable rest schedule took some time. Ultimately I found my own rhythm, although it’s still a work in progress. 

The stay-at-home email informing us of our shift to Zoom school felt more inevitable than surprising. Many of my friends had contracted COVID-19 over break, and the continuously climbing case numbers didn’t bode well for an in-person experience. Still, I couldn’t help the sinking feeling I had when I found out. Last quarter had been nothing short of a brilliant whirlwind, and most of my positive experiences were a direct result of being physically present at college. Alas, I could already foresee how my time in quarantine would go. I tend to struggle without the structure of in-person classes, and I know my time-management skills are irregular at best. When I recall the first three weeks at home, they seem pretty distorted. My sleeping hours were skewed, my routine was virtually nonexistent, and I found it nearly impossible to focus on schoolwork. 

However, when we finally did make it back on campus, I realized my parents were right. The second quarter was so much smoother than the first. Despite a heavier course load and more demands, I somehow found a balance. I had acclimated and gained a better understanding of what I needed to do to succeed. I could exercise, study, socialize, and still had some time left over to do my laundry. 

Going into Winter Quarter, I worried about adjusting to a new set of classes and professors. I felt as though I had finally adapted but was now being presented with a brand new summit to conquer. It soon became apparent that I actually didn’t have much to worry about. One class I particularly enjoyed was “The Scientific Process” taught by Dr. Motschiedler and Dr. Trueblood. It was undoubtedly one of my most time-consuming classes but also one of the most enjoyable. The other Honors freshmen whom I bonded with were still my classmates, and this time, we spent much more time together. The labs that we partook in every Wednesday, as well as the engaging debates, brought us closer as a cohort. The usefulness of the class was also not lost on me, as the skills we learned are crucial to my major, and will be beneficial throughout my time here at La Sierra. 

Compared to Fall Quarter, Winter Quarter seemed to pass by in the blink of an eye. Although college hasn’t been a walk in the park, it’s been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. It has helped me learn to adapt and meet new challenges. Most importantly, it’s been fun. I never expected to enjoy it this much.

–– Alexandria (Alley) Falvo (Biology, Class of 2025)