When I was younger, I wanted to pursue a career in journalism and public speaking. The former came true for the most part, given that I have been blessed to work as the Honorgram Editor-in-Chief (September 2021-June 2023) and Assistant Editor (January 2021-June 2021). I have always loved writing and sharing stories with the people around me. Yet, at the end of the day, public speaking engagements have been one of my passions. Besides delivering sermons at church, I competed and won multiple Speech & Debate tournaments in high school, as well as serving as a guest speaker at important community events. For the past four years, being a college student and living in the lockdown pandemic era for over a year made it difficult to pursue this pleasure of mine… well, really any extracurriculars in general.

Let us take a step back in time to my high school years. Since 2018, I have been involved with Reach Out, a program that strives “to strengthen communities by bringing people together to solve our region’s [Inland Empire] toughest issues.” Working with this group allowed me to further my desire to serve the underserved and learn more about what it takes to pursue a career in medicine. Annually, the team organizes the Health Professions Conference (HPC) — a fantastic experience in which high school students are engaged in conversations with keynote speakers (community service leaders, physicians, etc.) and rotate through different sessions to see various healthcare fields. Although I did not participate as a high school attendee (I would have loved to back in the day), I have been fortunate to serve as the Master of Ceremonies (MC) in 2019, 2020 (if COVID-19 had not upended everything), and this past April 2023!

In 2019, I submitted an application to be the MC that included a recording of myself introducing Michelle Obama. It felt natural to me, and I honestly did not think much of it, especially since I expected the competition to be tough. Imagine my shock when I received a call a few weeks later that I would be the MC of the conference! As a high school senior, I thought this was a really cool opportunity. You see MCs all the time at events and parties; I never thought I would get to be one in my life, let alone twice! The 2019 conference was held at California State University, San Bernardino (CSUSB) and was a grand success. Circa 2020, the Reach Out staff invited me back as the MC. I was surprised but also humbled that I was asked to come back. Unfortunately, COVID-19 rolled in quickly and took center stage. The 2020 HPC was postponed at first and ultimately canceled.

Three years later, the story continues with a rush of events in my senior year. On one peaceful day, I received an email asking if I could reprise my role as the MC for the 2023 HPC, which was the first in-person conference after the 2019 HPC! I simply could not resist this opportunity. Four years ago, I made my MC debut as a high school senior and would now be returning as a college senior. It is incredible how much and how fast time has flown!

On Wednesday, April 12, 2023, University of California, Riverside (UCR) hosted the conference at the Highlander Union Building (HUB). Over 400 students from high schools across the Inland Empire –– Biomedical Sciences and Technology Academy, Cajon High School, Colton High School, Corona Norco USD, Jurupa USD, Moreno Valley USD, and Yucaipa High School –– attended. It was such a memorable day for me. As a future physician, I hope to be the light at the end of the tunnel for my patients who are disenfranchised, come from harsh environments, and live in broken families. I also aspire to instill hope into the next generation of doctors, nurses, and more. During the opening ceremony, I shared with the students about my pre-med journey: “For the longest time, probably since the womb, I have always aspired to be a physician… The last time I was here four years ago, I was about to be a pre-med student at La Sierra. And, right now, I am excited to share with you that after I graduate this June, I am going to medical school at Loma Linda University ––” My speech immediately became overpowered by the hollers of cheers and loud claps of applause from the audience filled with students, teachers, and parents. It was my “I made it” moment… one that once felt like a surreal dream. After the crowd settled down and my tears subsided, I urged them to realize the potentials of their dreams. Additionally, I offered that they could ask me questions about undergrad and applying to medical school. My favorite question I received that day was during lunch. You see, I have been influenced by early 2000s rom-coms like Legally Blonde where you can be smart and slay your outfits, too. In fact, Elle Woods inspired my mostly pink ensemble during the HPC. One of the students asked, “Where did you get your heels from?,” while pointing to my pink heels. I was so ecstatic that I was able to influence students not just for educational purposes but also for fashion.

Beyond my MC duties, I was also requested as a panel moderator for sessions with family medicine residents (both were PGY-2s, second-year residents) and mental health professionals. Remember how I mentioned I wanted to go into journalism? I felt like a mainstream interviewer speaking to celebrities on the red carpet or one of those news correspondents who moderate the presidential debates but without the debating. I loved speaking with the PGY-2s. The high schoolers and I learned more about how the PGY-2s survived medical school, in addition to what life as a resident is like. With the mental health panel, we witnessed the diversity of care in the psychology and social work disciplines. We also explored the rewards and challenges of being a mental health professional. I am so glad that I was blessed to facilitate these sessions because, like the students in the audience, I was also motivated by the information covered. Listening to the psychologists advocating for their patients solidified my love for psychiatry. Hopefully, I will match into a child and adolescent psychiatry residency during my fourth year of medical school. 

By the closing session, I reiterated a lot of the advice that the speakers had imparted onto the young minds throughout the course of day. But, having been in the students’ shoes once before, I wanted to extend my personal words of wisdom as well: “Your dreams are possible if you put your mind to it and work hard. Passion and drive will get you far. Surround yourself with people who love you and support you. You will have good days and bad days. It is okay to fall. Failures are experiences to learn from. Challenges are opportunities for growth. Never give up. Believe in yourself. This is a marathon, not a sprint. You will make it. You will get there at your own pace.”

I am thankful for the opportunity to attend this amazing conference once again as the MC. I am so appreciative of the human connections established through the years: the friends and family who came to support me, the students who inspire me to keep pushing forward so that I can guide them in the future, and the Reach Out team for believing in me and working with me every step of the way. Last, but not least, I am grateful for the gifts and talents of communication that God has blessed me with to serve Him daily in the healing ministry of Jesus Christ.

— Ailinh Nguyen (Biomedical Science, Class of 2023)