Hello! We are the South Hall Residential Assistants (RAs), Asia and Brian. After three years of closure, South Hall has finally reopened and we’re excited to welcome everyone back with open arms. If you haven’t met us already, keep reading!

Asia

My first name is Deanna Shanelle, but everyone knows me as “Asia.” I’m a fourth-year biochemistry student working on a career in the medical field. To keep my mind at ease from the craziness of school, I like any type of crafting (I made a wearable dinner table costume this Halloween), sewing clothes, and playing Jackbox games with my friends and family. As someone who is far from home, I wanted to become an RA to foster a close-knit community and comfortable space for people living on campus. In other words, I wanted to be a part of the process of creating a home away from home. <3

Brian

My name is Brian Nguyen. I’m a fourth-year student majoring in biomedical science. I am currently applying to medical school (wish me luck). In my free time, I like to keep active by playing badminton and, more recently, rock climbing. But also, napping. Lots of naps 🙂 

This year, I wanted to be an RA for South Hall because I have learned, over my four years here at La Sierra, that I really enjoy being a guide or mentor for others. If you had asked me when I was in high school if I wanted to be an RA, I would have shuddered at the thought of any involvement on the campus and dismissed the idea immediately. But over my college years, I have learned to venture out of my timid shell, gaining the confidence to lead others and be more sociable. I wanted to continue growing that aspect of myself as an RA. After living the dorm life for two years and seeing the kinds of relationships that the RAs had with each other and their residents, I felt that I also wanted that sense of community with the students living in South Hall. Also, I have previously worked for the Honors Department as a student office assistant, and I felt like my familiarity with South Hall would help me navigate this new experience.

With introductions out of the way, let’s now talk South Hall! As South Hall RAs, we wanted to create a safe and welcoming space for the residents, as well as any student who visits South Hall. Our vision was to make South Hall feel more than a community of students, but rather a family. 

Asia

In short, I love being an RA for South Hall. I have grown closer to each of our residents to the point where South Hall essentially feels like a big family living under one roof. There’s never a day where they don’t make me laugh and never a day that I’m not grateful for every single one of them. They’re the reason I always look forward to coming back to my home away from home. 

Brian 

Being an RA for South Hall has honestly been very fun. The best part about being an RA (aside from the bigger room) has been the residents. Like Asia, I have also grown closer to each of them, and they are the biggest reason I enjoy being an RA so much. I’m an introvert at heart, so in a big setting I tend to feel alone. But here, the residents make South Hall feel like a giant, comfortable home. Chaotic at times, but in a good way. It makes me so happy to see our residents interacting with each other all the time.

Within just this quarter, we can say our vision for South Hall has been met. Our experiences as RAs have been so fun because it does very much feel like a family. Here’s a glimpse of the fun that’s been happening in South Hall: 

Thursday Treats: One of our residents has been making everyone delicious treats every Thursday. She has made macarons, cake pops, chocolate chip cookies, Halloween-themed sugar cookies, and cupcakes. We always look forward to what kind of treats she will make next because they’re always yummy and filled with love. 

Room Check Races: Before we officially became RAs, we joked about who could do the fastest room checks, but that joke soon became a reality in Week 2. We continue to periodically race room checks, with our residents cheering for their respective RA. As of Week 8, the score is 3-1 (I’m winning -Asia). (Go Asia!!! -Katie)

Movies: We like to watch feature-length animation, especially Miyazaki movies. One time during week five, we ate brownies, ice cream, and tiramisu while watching. Instead of watching in silence, we had hilarious commentary throughout the movie, laughing until our stomachs hurt. Some residents are now known as “Grandma Sophie” and “the Scarecrow.” 

Dress-Up Night: One night, one of our residents brought a bunch of clothes to the common area between the halls (we call it the “Space Center”) and started to dress up the other residents. At first, it started with a small group, but soon about half of the dorm had joined, either out of coincidental timing or curiosity (I, too, made the mistake of coming out of my room -Brian). But honestly, our residents slayed those outfits. 

Next quarter we are planning a Karaoke + Ramen Night, ice skating, Game Night, and other fun events! But so far, it has been full of memorable experiences, and it’s because of our residents. We know we have made this point a thousand times already, but it’s true: our residents really do make South Hall feel like a home. To us, they’re family. We’re excited to make even more memories with them! Here’s to the rest of the year together!

—Brian Nguyen, Class of 2024: Biomedical Science/Pre-medicine & Deanna Shanelle (Asia), Class of 2024: Biochemistry