Coming from an academic institution from which information flow was a one-way route, and joining a class in which students can only hope to thrive if they contribute to the growing culmination of ideas and emotional reflections regarding art in all its forms, was not only a surprise for me but an emotional response all its own. From in-class discussions to field trips in L.A., “art” in its most vulnerable form morphed from an idea on paper to an experience that I saw, heard, touched, and most importantly, felt. My eyes were opened to the many components of visual and musical arts such as paintings, theatre, sculpture and the historical influences that amounted to the evolution of “the arts” as a sacred element, to an educational tool, and finally widespread recognition of culture and expression. Such short-term maturation can only be accomplished through the exposure of oneself to the multitude of art forms, through class outings to large venues like the Getty, Pantages theatre, L.A. Philharmonic, and intimate settings such as the local Chance theatre.

A personal favorite class outing was to the Chance theater that sat about 100 people, featuring a narrative about a woman from low socioeconomic status trudging her way through the many obstacles forced upon her by the playwright. Some of these obstacles included having a premature child in high school, meeting the father nearly 30 years later, and getting fired from her job. What made the spectacle so enthralling was the inescapable tension brought on by the intimate setting creating an incredibly palpable drama. I could have never imagined that I would end up in a place such as that watching a play such as the one I did.  However, it was an experience that forced me to step out of my shoes and experience a life outside of my own. Furthermore, knowing the many techniques, elements, and history used by the director, playwright, and actors allowed for the more in-depth understanding of the production as a whole.

Among the class discussions, blog posts, and general sharing of knowledge, my favorite way in which we displayed our grasp of the subject matter was through a group project in which a short film was made solely from the culmination of ideas within our group. Raw and mildly edited, our innermost convictions and absurd ideas were put on display in front of the class to be taken in with laughter and support. The acceptance by our peers showed the incredibly tight-knit friendships that had formed throughout the quarter by the many trips, group activities, and in- class sharing of concepts, impressions, and opinions facilitated by the instructor, Dr. Dean Anderson (Department of Music).

All in all, “the arts” became more than just a course, but a fellowship among philosophers, artists, and intentional thinkers thriving to understand the visual expression of emotion and thought through the analysis of structured and unstructured art. Such intentional thought created a learning environment not restricted to a one-way flow of information, but a network of ideas, beliefs, and convictions to further understand the complex understanding of “The Arts.”

— Daniel Bazan, Freshman

In the last quarter of freshman year, I was fortunate enough to take “The Arts,” a class that focused on the foundations of art and how art is applied to our society. Prior to taking this class, I did not know what to expect. I imagined that there would be short lectures about art and quick projects where I could draw some shapes and turn it in. I was completely wrong once I experienced the beauty that this class had to offer. Dr. Dean Anderson did an incredible job as he led us to utilize our perceptions of different elements and incorporate them into our daily lives. Dr. Anderson also heavily emphasized aesthetic response in our lives, which was very refreshing because it allowed us to see the different perceptions of our world. Most importantly, these aesthetic elements would resonate with most of my classmates as it brought much meaning into our lives. Being a science major, it was quite the challenge to transition from strict memorization and regurgitation to a philosophical and artistic mindset. As this class progressed, I adapted and was able to exercise it into my daily life. Even when I was memorizing life cycles for Biology, I was still trying to find an aesthetic response within my drawings.

“The Arts” has been such an incredible experience as it encouraged me to escape from my comfort zone. Rarely do I ever have the chance to explore using my imagination and perception, but this class gave me a foundation upon which to build in my daily life. Through this class, I have learned so many concepts about art and I am now eager to use my knowledge when finding art in real life!

— Kandavan Thong, Freshman

Thinking back to the time I chose my fine art elective for high school, I remember that a part of me wanted to explore other types of art besides music, but because of my commitment to band, I knew that I had to decline. After all, I was sure I would get that opportunity in college, and sure enough, I did. Third quarter of my freshman year at La Sierra rolled around, and upon learning that there would be a whole class dedicated to exploring different aspects of art, I was excited to begin. Looking back, I very much enjoyed the laid back atmosphere Dr. Anderson created and found this class to be a refreshing contrast from the rigidity of my other classes.

The various projects we created encouraged us to bring our own original ideas to the table. Because we were given prompts that fostered our creativity instead of strict rubrics to follow, an array of unique ideas were brought forward by each person. For one of my mini projects, I took a deeper look at my personality by drawing a portrait of myself that summarized me as a whole. For the final group project, my group decided to create a comedic skit that featured us actually writing the script about a dimwitted couple and their adventures lost in the wilderness due to an earthquake. We received a glimpse into the process of writing and shooting a film. At first I was worried about how it would be received, but after the class burst out laughing, I knew our hard work paid off!

In addition to the in-class activities, the engaging field trips we went on allowed us to apply the concepts we had discussed in class while also having fun at the same time. As I watched Shen Yun and the Sleeping Beauty ballet, I realized that now I could use the vocabulary that I have been taught to explain why I thought each dance was beautiful in its own way. On the same day we watched Shen Yun, we spent the second half of the day admiring the artwork displayed at the Getty Museum. I remember wandering through the halls, lost in a space where different eras collided though still pieces of visual art. Finally, near the end of our stay, we spent a couple moments on the balcony reflecting over the day while watching the sun set behind the hills.

While expanding my knowledge about the different aspects of art and the vocabulary that comes with it, The Arts has been an outlet that has inspired me to set free the artistic side of myself that I was not able to express in high school.  My thanks to Dr. Anderson, The Arts, and Honors at La Sierra University for creating a space where that could happen.

— Mia Hernandez, Freshman