Scientific Process is an essential course that challenges the conventional class structure with an intricately designed syllabus that grants each student, regardless of major, the opportunity to step into the world of science. Despite the course’s high demands and expectations, I soon found myself looking forward to going to the next class, for multiple reasons. One reason was because Dr. Trueblood (Biology) and Dr. Motschiedler (Chemistry) really helped fine-tune my scientific writing skills while also providing me with a diverse set of helpful tips and resources that I wouldn’t have otherwise learned until later on in college. Though I may be biased as a Biology major on the pre-medicine track, it was exciting to see improvements in my scientific writing, as I knew this would an important skill later on when typing up a research paper that is being considered for publication. Another reason why this class was so special is because it encouraged higher level thinking and intellectual discussion. Students got the chance to engage in important conversations on controversial topics such as climate change, our water system, or genetically modified foods, as well as on relevant news such as the Twin Tunnel Proposal or California wildfires. These issues were sometimes discussed in the form of debate, one of my favorite activities in this course. We would randomly be assigned to groups of three or four and then given either the for or against side of a certain topic. I can confidently say a majority of my classmates, including myself, prepared very diligently and passionately for each of these debates and had a lot of fun trying to deliver the best argument. Through these verbal discussions, we learned how to ask questions and not blindly believe information which appears to come from credible sources or people, an unfortunate phenomenon we can see frequently in our present generation. Finally, I must mention that there is a final cumulative research project that you work on throughout the quarter with your group. The topic is your choice, and a successful research design asks for thorough preparation, planning, creativity, and collaborative execution.

I would like to conclude with some advice to any future students who are planning to take this course in the future. Firstly, really get to know your Scientific Process professors. I smile when I look back at all the inside-jokes (Vans), accidental facetime calls, and conversations I had with Dr. Trueblood, a professor everyone appreciates for both his good sense of humor and scientific knowledge. Dr. Motschiedler gives amazing feedback and guidance on every assignment and it is obvious that she wants each of her students to succeed. They are amazing people who really know what they are doing, so don’t be afraid to ask for help at any time. Also, I would like to remind future students that this class is very time-consuming. This is definitely not a class you want to procrastinate for or not have as a priority! However, don’t be afraid because I am sure you will all do very well! Let’s go Honors!

This is an image of one of my ads, part of our group’s Scientific Process project: “Facebook vs Google Ads”

— Uylae Kim, Class of 2022