Wake up. School. Work. Sleep. Repeat. This was the relentless cycle that defined my last years of high school. Days blurred into weeks, weeks into months, and before anyone realized, a year had passed in a haze of routine. But as graduation loomed on the horizon, college beckoned with promises of freedom from the monotonous rhythm of the past I thought had confined me. It was a new chapter waiting to be written, an opportunity to redefine oneself beyond the confines of a familiar routine. And as the last cheers rang beyond the podium, caps and flower leis alike tossed in the air, the journey towards something different and unknown began. Going to the same school for 12+ years was all I had ever known, and I was ready to branch out into the world. Despite considering the allure of attending a college out of state, I ultimately decided on La Sierra University, conveniently located just 35 minutes away from home (on a good day). 

Entering college through the STEM Bridge program, anticipation bubbled within me as I eagerly awaited the start of my college journey. Yet, as I progressed through the first days, I realized that despite the unique and different sides of college life, there were familiar experiences I still went through. The rhythms of academic life in lecture halls still held that familiar curiosity and uncertainty as in high school. Creating new bonds of friendship brought new experiences and memories, but it still shares the same brightness I held with my old friends. It was through acknowledging where I came from that I could fully appreciate where I was headed. This guided me forward so I could work towards my goal of graduating college in pursuit of my bio-medical major and graphic design minor. 

As my college experience took flight, I found myself confronted with its most formidable adversary: time management. Balancing the demands of coursework, my personal passions like digital art, and wanting to hang out with friends became a juggling act I hadn’t quite mastered. Weeks waxed and waned as I scrambled to absorb the content of six lectures for one test, only to find myself dedicating three hours the next day to prepare for another exam. Then, there were slower days, deceptive in their comforting relaxation, which often hinted at the accumulation of impending tasks. However, I wasn’t alone through these processes, as my friends shared similar challenges. Together, we leaned on each other for support, sharing our triumphs and failures as we acclimated to college life. Additionally, the guidance and encouragement of professors who wanted us to succeed played a role in my journey, providing not just academic assistance but also pushing us to overcome our own obstacles and think like scientists.

Specifically in my current Honors class, The Scientific Process, there has been a plethora of work and research to keep us busy. The number of tasks can seem daunting at times, leading to moments of stress and exhaustion. However, when collaborating with friends on projects or having heated debates with the cohort, these shared experiences alleviate the pressure and can ultimately enrich us as individuals with the different kinds of research we explore. Throughout the first two quarters of the year, I’ve already had different experiences that I could fill a whole book with. From late-night studying/Just Dance sessions to spontaneous excursions to visit the nearby duck pond, these memories have created a unique college journey. Additionally, it only strengthened my passion for biology through the numerous lectures that were crammed into my brain. Exploring the intricacies of life through biology has only caused me to be more curious about the subject, finding even the most simple enjoyment in learning about dynein proteins. 

But before I finalize writing about my experience so far, I must mention my family and one person who made 90% of these experiences possible. My big brother, Adam, has been an inspiration throughout my life, and I couldn’t be happier to attend the same college as him. Without him, I would have never joined the STEM Bridge program and would have met some of my closest college friends through it. Without him, the Honors Program might not have been something that I wanted to participate in. And without him, I would have been completely lost in which classes I should actually take for my bio-medical major. He gave me beneficial insight about La Sierra University so I wouldn’t have to struggle completely on my own, allowing me to thrive and grow throughout my experience. Even though I am still struggling and adjusting to the entire college life, I feel ready to take on any challenges with my friends and brother pushing along with me. Branching out within La Sierra University has only shown me how welcoming and wonderful aspects of college can be, building a community and allowing me to find where I fit in. And while some days the rhythm of college life may echo the familiar “Wake up. School Work. Sleep. Repeat,” it includes new experiences and joys that are far from the monotony of the past.

— Zadie Tsao, Class of 2027: Biomedical Science/Pre-medicine