For many people, Thanksgiving is a beautiful time for all to come together with their friends and family to reflect on what they are thankful for throughout the year. In 2022, I experienced my most meaningful Thanksgiving to date.

It all started with flying into Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD) from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) to Uber into Virginia with my aunt to visit her brother/my uncle. For our first full day on the East Coast, my uncle, an established and distinguished Marine Corps volunteer with a penchant for the Marines and Navy Seals, asked if we would like to join him on the Marine Corps Base Quantico for the annual 10K Turkey Trot, a Marine Corps Marathon (MCM). Talk about a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. It would be an honor just to be on the Marine Corps installation! 

Early Saturday morning, November 19, 2022, we woke up super bright and early to such — how do I put it… — lovely, frigid temperatures that made me feel like I was in my own personal igloo. “Why does my voice sound so weird?!” I croaked to my aunt, who also bleated in laughter. Seriously, it was that cold. My vocal cords were literally frozen. But, that did not stop us from our grand tasks of the day. After a quick bite of breakfast, we soon departed to Quantico. 

Although still groggy and cold, we were ushered into the Visitor Control Center for a background check to obtain facility entry-day passes. And then, finally, we drove onto the grounds. After going through registration, we were assigned to assist with the general volunteer station, where we would package and distribute replenishing snacks to the participants as they finished their runs. Typically, some of the Marine Corps men would hand out the marathon finisher’s medals to people as they reached the finish line. However, this time, I was allowed to pass out these gorgeous, shiny, well-earned medallions. It was my favorite part of volunteering during this memorable event. I shared very special interactions with the families, young children, and seasoned runners. 

I have volunteered for numerous organizations throughout my life, but that day was very different for me. I found this to be an especially eye-opening and inspiring volunteer venture. Something I learned from my uncle is that the Marines believe in earning accolades, not asking for them. One of their mantras is “Uncommon value was a common virtue,” which encourages us to keep pushing forward despite formidable obstacles. It is symbolic of persistence, endurance, and resilience through life’s crucibles. There are no fears, limitations, or excuses in the Marine Corps. So, keeping that in mind, I understand the prestige, training, patience, and hard work necessary to participate in a marathon that typically requires a plethora of psychological and physical discipline. It takes courage to lace up one’s tennis shoes and brace the frosty Virginia air head-on so early in the morning. And, to pass out these medals was an absolute privilege and pleasure.

While executing our acts of service with love, we mingled with the other volunteers, who were also pumped to be there. Little did we know, until after the marathon, that these individuals were not ordinary volunteers but actually former Marines. Wow! What an honor to serve right beside such incredible servicemen. I would never have thought that I would get to do something like this.

Apart from the MCM, my aunt and I did our share of shopping for winter clothes to keep us warm, learning about American history, and sightseeing in Washington, D.C. for the remainder of our time on the East Coast. We visited the Foggy Bottom, the Lincoln Memorial, the Vietnam War Memorial, the outside of the White House through the layered barricades, the National Gallery of Art, the Tysons Corner Center, Georgetown, and the U.S. Marine Corps War Memorial. See photos of our adventures in the gallery below! 

Truly, the best part of my travels during Thanksgiving Break was going to the Marine Corps Marathon. I had never experienced a colossal event like this one. I look forward to participating with the Marine Corps again, perhaps working as a volunteer once more or even walking/jogging/running the marathons in the near future.

Overall, my second trip to the East Coast in 2022 was a blast and, of course, a bone-chilling one. I could not have asked for a better trip filled with love, family, and service.

— Ailinh Nguyen (Biomedical Science, Class of 2023)